Margaret River is a popular tourist destination in Western Australia known for its stunning beaches, world-class wineries, and natural attractions. With so many things to see and do, finding affordable accommodation can be a challenge, especially during peak seasons.
However, with a little bit of research and some insider tips, visitors can score Margaret River Accommodation deals and enjoy all that Margaret River has to offer.
Drawing from my experience owning a 29-room motel in Margaret River from 2016 to 2023, I’ve gathered insider tips and strategies to help you navigate the accommodation landscape in the region.
One of the best ways to find accommodation deals in Margaret River is to book well in advance. Many hotels and vacation rentals offer early bird discounts for bookings made several months ahead of time. Visitors can also take advantage of last-minute deals, but this option can be risky, especially during peak seasons when most places are fully booked.
Another tip for finding accommodation deals in Margaret River is to be flexible with travel dates. Weekdays tend to be less busy than weekends, and prices can be significantly lower. You can also consider traveling during the shoulder season, which is the period between peak and off-peak seasons when prices are generally lower.
Want to learn more? Let’s make your travel dreams a reality by learning how to find the best deals this region has to offer!
Tips to Find the Best Margaret River Accommodation Deals
1. Book Early
One of the best ways to save money on accommodations in Margaret River is to book early. Many hotels and resorts offer early booking discounts, which can save travelers a significant amount of money. By booking early, travelers can also ensure that they get the best rooms and locations, as well as avoid the last-minute rush, and needing to reorganise the trip as you can’t get the available dates that you want.
2. Last-Minute Deals
If you’re flexible with your travel dates, you can often find great deals by booking at the last minute. Many hotels and resorts in Margaret River offer discounted rates for rooms that haven’t been booked yet. Here are a few tips to help you find last-minute deals:
- Use a booking app: Apps like Booking.com offer last-minute deals on hotels and resorts in Margaret River and other destinations.
- Check hotel websites: Many hotels and resorts offer discounts on their websites for last-minute bookings.
- Call the hotel: If you can’t find any last-minute deals online, call the hotel directly to see if they have any available rooms at a discounted rate.
3. Travel During Weekdays
Try and stay between Sunday and Thursday if you can, and avoid the weekends if you’re trying to save money. Demand is high on Friday and Saturday nights throughout the year, as weddings tend to be on weekends, or people visiting to attend festivals or gigs at local venues. In my experience, Sunday is generally the cheapest night to stay in Margaret River.
4. Avoid Travel During Peak Season
Margaret River has a peak tourism season from December to February, when the weather is warm and sunny. During this time, accommodation prices can be quite high, and deals may be harder to come by. However, if travelers are flexible with their travel dates, they can find great deals during the shoulder seasons of March to May and September to November. During these times, the weather is still pleasant, and accommodation prices are usually lower.
Learn more about the best time to book Margaret River accommodation with my handy guide, that will answer all your questions you have before you press the ‘BOOK NOW’ button!
5. Use Booking Websites or Travel Comparison Websites
Another great way to find accommodation deals in Margaret River is to use travel websites and apps. Sites like Expedia, Booking.com, and Hotels.com offer a wide range of options for hotels, resorts, and vacation rentals in the area. These sites often have special deals and discounts that are not available elsewhere, so it’s worth checking them out.
Travel apps like TripAdvisor, Airbnb, and Kayak are also great resources for finding accommodation deals in Margaret River. These apps allow travelers to compare prices and amenities, read reviews from other travelers, and book directly from their mobile devices.
6. Book Direct
Most of the time, booking directly through a hotel’s website can offer better rates or perks not available on third-party sites.
At our motel, we used to offer a 10% discount on direct bookings of 1-2 nights, and 15% discount on direct bookings of 3 nights or more. We would also offer a weekly price to people who enquired.
If we ever needed to move guests around then we always made sure that the people who had booked directly would get the best rooms or the complimentary upgrades too!
Pro Tip: When I am booking accommodation for my family, I check prices using an Online Travel Agent like booking.com, and then I cross check it against a properties website. I also like to check the “Special Deals” page of a properties website to see if there are any additional discount codes I can use. Last time we went to Perth, I was able to get a cabin with a 30% discount from what the OTA was offering by doing this exact process! This saved us $500, as we were staying 5 nights! Not bad for 5 minutes of extra effort!
7. Sign Up For Alerts
Many booking platforms and hotel websites allow you to set price alerts for your preferred accommodation, notifying you of price drops.
8. Join Memberships and Loyalty Programs
Many hotels and resorts in Margaret River offer membership and loyalty programs that can help you save money on your stay. These programs often provide exclusive discounts, early access to special offers, and other perks. Some popular membership and loyalty programs include:
- AccorPlus: This program offers discounts of up to 50% on accommodation, as well as dining and spa services, at participating hotels and resorts in Margaret River and around the world.
- IHG Rewards Club: Members of this program can earn points for their stays, which can be redeemed for free nights or other rewards.
- Marriott Bonvoy: This program offers members exclusive rates, free Wi-Fi, and other benefits at participating hotels and resorts.
9. Ask For Discounts
Don’t hesitate to contact the accommodation directly and ask if there are any promotions or the possibility of a discount for longer stays.
10. Check Social Media
If you’ve narrowed down to a couple of options, check their Facebook or Instagram pages, as quite often properties will list discount codes or specials on their social media and nowhere else.
11. Avoid Booking During Events and Festivals
Margaret River hosts several events and festivals throughout the year, which can impact accommodation availability and pricing. During this time, accommodation prices can be higher, and availability may be limited.
12. Consider Alternative Accommodation
Explore some different options that maybe you hadn’t considered before, like staying at some of the following:
- Bed and Breakfasts: Bed and breakfasts are a popular choice for those looking for a more intimate and personalized experience. Many bed and breakfasts in Margaret River offer homemade breakfasts, which, when you factor this into the cost, can make it an affordable option.
- Holiday Homes: Margaret River has a range of holiday homes available for rent, ranging from small apartments to large villas. Holiday homes are a great option for families or large groups of friends traveling together who want more space and privacy, and can split the cost.
- Campsites: Margaret River has a number of campsites available for those who prefer to sleep under the stars. Many campsites offer amenities like BBQ facilities and playgrounds.
13. Consider the Location
Some things to keep in mind include:
- Proximity to attractions: Margaret River has a range of attractions, including wineries, beaches, and national parks. Choosing accommodation that is close to the attractions you want to visit can save you time and money on transportation.
- Proximity to restaurants and shops: Margaret River has a range of restaurants and shops to choose from. Choosing accommodation that is close to the places you want to eat and shop can make your stay more convenient.
14. Consider the Amenities
Consider the amenities offered by a property, such as a gym, pool, business services, free Wi-Fi, and complimentary laundry. These conveniences not only enhance your stay but can also offer significant savings and value, helping you decide where to stay based on your needs and interests. For example, if you have been travelling a while and need to do some laundry, a property that offers a free washing machine and dryer can save you quite a bit of money versus visiting a laundromat.
Wrapping Up: How to Find Deals on Margaret River Accommodation
Finding the perfect accommodation deal in Margaret River doesn’t have to be a daunting task. By booking early, being flexible with your travel dates, and considering the unique amenities each property offers, you can significantly enhance your stay without stretching your budget.
Ready to learn more about making the most of your Margaret River visit? Don’t stop here! Check out our related posts below for more insider tips and tricks that will help you explore and enjoy all that this stunning region has to offer!
Australia Travel Planning Guide
🚑Should I buy Australian travel insurance?
100% YES! — Australia has “free” healthcare but it’s only for citizens and permanent residents. Foreigners visiting need travel insurance in case anything happens on their visit. I like SafetyWing – their Nomad Insurance starts at just $1.50 USD a day!
🚗Should I rent a car in Australia?
Yes — Renting a car is a necessity in most of Australia! If you want to go on road trips or adventures outside of the major cities, and even if you’re staying in a major city, you’ll want to rent a car. If you are visiting Margaret River, it will be even more important that you hire a car, you’ll need it to be able to get around and see all the great attractions and wineries!
🏨What’s the best way to book my Australian accommodation?
My go-to for Australian hotels is Booking.com. Pretty much all registered accommodation use Booking.com (but not necessarily any of the other major booking platforms), and even most of the holiday homes and caravan parks use Booking.com too!
If you’re planning a trip to Australia where you will stay at multiple locations, it’s super handy to have all your accommodation listed in one place, and accommodation owners like Booking.com because it’s easy to contact the guests using the messaging platform if the guest has an international phone number.
I sincerely hope you enjoy your visit to Margaret River!